Thursday, November 6, 2014

halloween


trick or treating just here in my mind
hoping for more than toilet paper streamers
in the trees outside my window
or soaped and waxed window panes
like in the day when things were simple
and safe
no razor blades in apples
or needles and pins
when the worst I could get was a corn ball
or some home-made cookies

and now, behind closed doors with all the lights off
who will come stumbling down the stairs
 to disturb me
old, in my pajamas almost before dark
for just some dark chocolate
half gone on the kitchen counter

whose loss will it be
to get nothing
to give nothing
to see no witches, zombies
Princess Elsa

no lonely old man

at my darkened door

Barry DeCarli
Goshen, MA October 31, 2014

© 2014 Barry DeCarli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Available Now! Camouflage of Noise and Silence, My New Collection of Poetry

  My 3rd Collection of Poems Camouflage of Noise and Silence   was published on August 7, 2020 Available here at barrydecarlipoetry.com $...